Is Laminate Flooring Right For you?

Is Laminate Flooring Right For You? - (Nest of Bliss)

Happy Monday everyone!

The weather here has been absolutely awful – it’s supposed to be Spring, but it looks like we still have quite a bit of Winter to go! *Collective sigh*

To keep the winter blues at bay, we’ve been keeping busy working on the house (What else is new?) and today I want to share with you what we got up to this weekend!

But first…

I have a confession.

Most of my readers by now know my kitchen:

Is Laminate Flooring Right For You? - (Nest of Bliss)

And many of you have asked about our floors, and think they look nice… I cringe when I have to tell you about our paint job over the old purple & blue tile (See our kitchen makeover tour here)

Because, the truth is… It didn’t hold up. Like, at all. There’s even been times where I’ve edited out parts of the floor from my images.

If you are asking “Why?”… Well, here it is:

Is Laminate Flooring Right For You? - (Nest of Bliss)

Is Laminate Flooring Right For You? - (Nest of Bliss)

I’ve been hiding this from you, guys! I’m sorry! The dark flooring could NOT stay clean, and it was chipping to reveal the old flooring underneath. We even stopped putting down drop-cloths when we painted because we just stopped caring!

I knew it was time for new flooring. (YA THINK?)

So, we spent last weekend installing our new laminate flooring. I am in love.

Is Laminate Flooring Right For You? - (Nest of Bliss)

We still have a few things to finish up, but for the most part the installation is complete. πŸ™‚

Is Laminate Flooring Right For You? - (Nest of Bliss)

Excuse me while I sleep on this floor for a week/roll around on it. This has been long-awaited!

The flooring we selected was a hand-scraped laminate flooring with a warm wood finish. The colouring was somewhat similar to our “faux reclaimed barn wood” kitchen island, and it has beat-up texture to it. Very suitable for our farmhouse kitchen! Also, the texture is ideal for us with our three dogs, since any scratches and scuffs are just going to add to the distress the boards already have.

Is Laminate Flooring Right For You? - (Nest of Bliss)

I didn’t know if laminate would be for me, but when I saw the selection at Home Depot, I was truly amazed at how far it’s come! But for those of you who are wondering if laminate is right for you, I’ve put together some information.

It’s inexpensive

Laminate flooring is able to mimic the look and texture of many expensive flooring choices, making it ideal for those on a budget. Laminate has come a long way in terms of finishes, so there’s bound to be something out there suitable for you.

Something to keep in mind with faux wood laminate is that it cannot be refinished over time as with typical hardwood, so if you opt for a smooth clean finish it may wear out after some years. Especially if you have pets or wear shoes indoors, for example.

It’s versatile

If you are looking for flooring that is durable, moisturize resistant, stain/scratch resistant, and comfortable, then laminate might just be the option for you. These features allow this flooring to be installed in most locations!

However, laminate may not be ideal for very wet areas such as bathrooms, as water can become trapped beneath the boards and cause the wood to warp. The same could be said for a kitchen if that’s a wetter area in your home.

Easy installation

Since laminate flooring often clicks together, it is fairly simple to install yourself. A lot of laminate floorings also have the cushioning already attached underneath, which allows you to skip the step of laying foam cushioning. It is also is a “floating” floor. This means it doesn’t need to be attached to the subfloor beneath!

Laminate flooring does require a fairly even surface, so if your floors are uneven you will need to get them as level as possible.

Is Laminate Flooring Right For You? - (Nest of Bliss)

I have to say, although we weren’t planning on getting laminate, but I’m so glad we did. The finish and texture of this flooring suits our home beautifully and is so much warmer underfoot than the vinyl tile that is now underneath! Good riddance. πŸ™‚

Is Laminate Flooring Right For You? - (Nest of Bliss)

What do you think about the change in here? Do you have laminate flooring in your home?

Is Laminate Flooring Right For You? - (Nest of Bliss)

Be sure ‘Like’ Nest of Bliss on Facebook – I want to hear if there’s a part of your home you have tried to ‘hide’ before!

Be sure to ‘Pin’ to come back later. πŸ™‚

Follow Nest of Bliss onΒ Facebook,Β Pinterest,Β Google +, andΒ Twitter!

B

Comments

1. Marcee ... ILLINOIS says:

Wow. Gorgeous. Your entire kitchen is wonderful. Practical, but beautiful also. I’d give anything ….. but, maybe not. Our kitchen’s black and white heavy duty stuff, is 18 years old. {{sighs}} Yep. So difficult to keep clean on a daily basis. Disgusting. Thank goodness for Swiffers! The only solution is for all of us to move out of the house, maybe for 48 hours. Then let the professionals take over, do their thing. Meanwhile, it’s our job to remove everything kitchen. Ugh. I cannot imagine. The only possible way we can get a new kitchen floor installed.

• Hey Marcee,
      Renovations can certainly take their time! But 48 hours sounds worth it to me to not have to be cleaning the floors on a daily basis! I’m so happy to have the dark flooring gone!

2. Sheryll & Critters. says:

Oh I am in love with your new flooring….. gosh and begorra it is beautiful.

3. It looks beautiful, Brandi! I love the warmth it adds to the kitchen, perfect for a farm house!

4. We had laminate flooring (Pergo- highest quality grade at the time) installed in our kitchen over 10 years ago and it looks as good as the day it was installed. I’ve dropped things on it, spilled things on it, and my dogs can’t even ruin it. It’s so easy to clean! So much better than the vinyl flooring we had in the kitchen before. We have to replace the other flooring on the main floor of our house in the next few years and we plan on using the same flooring throughout the entire space. We plan on doing hardwoods, so the laminate will go eventually, but for now I am enjoying it!

• That’s wonderful to hear Jo Ann! πŸ™‚ I bet the hardwood throughout your home is going to look so great!

5. Absolutely beautiful!!! They add so much warmth to your lovely kitchen!
    Are these the one’s that click together or the peel and stick?

• Hi Selene! Thank you so much! These click together. πŸ™‚ I didn’t know laminate came in stick form, although I know vinyl can.

6. They look amazing in your kitchen! We have similar laminate floors on our main floor and love them.

7. Turned out beautifully! I bet it will be super durable, too!

8. We put laminate in our kitchen, foyer and hall way.it is beautiful and it practically cleans itself.w we put down select surfaces from Sam’s club

9. We just had vinyl planking installed from our front door, throughout the kitchen and into the laundry room. We decides on this because of kitchen spills and the laundry room. So far , I love it. We had it installed over the tile. They put some type of leveling compound over the tile. We also had a liner pit down. My only concern is how to wash it. I use a damp mop. Have not tried a Swifter, I need to check to see if
    I can use just water in it. Any idea?

• Hi Micki,
      There are concerns in regards to water damage with laminate if an excessive amount is spilled it can become trapped beneath and warp the planks, so it’s recommended to use a lightly lamp mop (like a swifter) but just use water or non-abrasive cleaning supplies. Our flooring recommended not using the swifter product and just going with water, but check with the manufacturer to be sure!

• Elisabeth says:

Hi Brandi and Micki,
      Brandi that floor looks so wonderful! I’m in Australia in a five year old house. My husband insisted on the flooring we have, which is stark white large porcelain tiles, 50 cm x 50cm. I hate them, and they make the place look so clinical, and so not how we are at all. I want to lay a wood-look flooring over them, so am looking at either a vinyl plank or laminate. Brandi, what did they put down between the laminate and the floor? Micki, same question to you really. I heard that levelling compound is almost the same cost as the vinyl tile. Also how many days did you both have to have all your furniture out of the rooms? When could you walk on the floor again? Thank so much. I would really appreciate your advice. I’m sure the products are pretty much the same here as there. πŸ™‚

• Hi Elisabeth,
        Thank you so much! The floor beneath was level and the laminate flooring had an attached subflooring. My recommendation would be to make sure your floors are level and see if you can lay your flooring of choice over the existing floor – in many cases you can. If the floor is unlevel you will need to start the process of leveling… but since your home is new and you have porcelain tiles I cannot see that being an issue for you, but be sure to check it out with your supplier first!

10. The flooring looks great, and I absolutely love your kitchen! What a beautiful transformation.

11. Cynthia says:

You mean to say that this is laminate??? I can hardly believe it, bcause it is so beautiful! I got some in my dining room when it first came out….and what I got was the closest to looking like this, but I see that it is at the other end of the spectrum! I haven’t looked in a long while, for sure…this is really inspiring!

• Brandi says:

Yes it is! It’s pretty realistic isn’t it? The hand-scraping really makes a difference. My mother had laminate installed way back and it was very fake looking.. it certainly has come a long way since!

12. Your floors look great! I can’t believe they are laminate. We just bought an old house built in 1946 and we are trying to figure out what type of flooring to put in it. I looked on The Home Depot website and there were a lot of “hand scraped laminate” choices. Would you mind sharing the name of the exact one that you used for your flooring? Thanks. Below is the website if that helps. Was it one of those from this site?

• Hi Sarah,

Unfortunately I don’t have the exact name. They happened to have sale on the flooring when we purchased it so we lucked out! The man working said it didn’t appear to be on the website – but that could have changed since then! It has a rustic wood appearance and lots of grooves which creates the authentic appearance. πŸ™‚ Hope this helps a little bit. Just be sure to get samples to make sure you buy exactly what you want!

Brandi

13. Elisabeth says:

Hi, what does ‘hand scraped’ actually mean, Brandi? Thank you!

• Hi Elisabeth!
      Hand-scraped laminate mimics the look of hand-scraped hardwood flooring – which is hardwood flooring that is made to have the appearance of being crafted by hand (such as in older homes) the technique was to scrape the boards to create the even surface. The overall look is an imperfect, natural-worn finish. πŸ™‚

14. What is the name of this floor at Home Depot? I love it!!

15. Good morning. I just saw this post on your floors. Did you remove your cabinets to put this down or did you just butt the flooring right up under them?

• Hi Cathy,

No we did not removed the cabinets and cut around them to fit them in. Hope that helps.

Brandi πŸ™‚

16. Mallory says:

Can you PLEASE (im begging) post a tutorial on how you built your kitchen island? I am obsessed with it and would love to attempt building it, its incredible!

• Hi Mallory,
      I do not have a tutorial on the kitchen island. It was large I can say that. I can take a rough guess and tell you that it was 6 feet long, 3.5 feet high and the depth across about 3 feet. That is the completed project. The inside frame was made with 2/4’s. There were two shelves on the inside, but only for half of the inside as the chairs for the island were able to push in. There was a bottom shelf and another shelf above that, slats were used for the shelving. The outside of the island was covered in 2Γ—10’s on each end and the top of the island. Hope that helps. I am no longer at the farmhouse so I am unable to get exact measurements. You can use this a s guide but also adjust it to fit the space in your kitchen. It is a project that I get many requests for and one that is a big regret that I have, that we never documented our steps or took more pictures. Hope that helps somewhat. Brandi πŸ™‚