Christmas Farmhouse Tour 2013

Christmas Farmhouse Pinterest

Hi friends. 🙂

Christmas is but a short few days away. Are you prepared? I find I’m running around like crazy trying to check off my Christmas to-do list (Shhh, I still have to wrap!)

This weekend I am revealing my Christmas house tour with you all! Keep in mind that means it’s only a couple of not-finished rooms and glimpses into other areas of the house that are in mid-renovation… I’m not ready to show the other half of the house just yet. But it is what it is when you are renovating a century home on a budget… I hope you’ll enjoy it for what it is anyway. 😉

Christmas Tour - Winter Farmhouse We recently had a snow storm… I had to snap a photo before we pulled out the shovels!

Christmas Tour -  Front Porch with antique skis and a burlap wreath Come on in, grab yourself a mug of hot chocolate & make yourself at home.

Blue Christmas Foyer with mistletoe banner
When you first come through the front door you are welcomed by our foyer. It has a ways to go, but I decided to give it a bit of Christmas cheer. 🙂

Christmas Tour - Blue Foyer with mistletoe banner and paddle
That little gal there is Sophie, one of three furry friends you’ll meet around here. She’ll warm up to you in time, I promise!

Christmas Tour - Blue foyer

Christmas Tour - Foyer Mantel and Driftwood Christmas Tree
As with the rest of our home, I went with a coastal theme throughout the home.

Christmas Tour - Coastal Foyer with Cottage Rules sign

Christmas Tour - Coastal Foyer Table with Driftwood Tree
Driftwood Christmas Tree 2
My favourite part of our foyer table? This GORGEOUS driftwood Christmas tree I received from Blue Moon Lavender!

Driftwood Christmas Tree 1
I added a starfish on top for a little extra festive cheer… I just love this little tree!

Sheet Music Mistletoe 3
My favourite part of the farmhouse this year? My mistletoe Sheet Music Garland beckoning you to step under the mistletoe…

Sheet Music Mistletoe

Wheaton's Mistletoe
This beautiful mistletoe was a new purchase this year from Wheaton’s. I couldn’t resist this beautiful decoration, and I know I’ll have it for years to come.

Christmas Kitchen 2
Off of the foyer to your right is our kitchen. I added a few festive touches here and there.

I’m going to be quiet for a minute (Is that possible?) and let you look around 😉

Christmas Kitchen 3

Christmas Kitchen 4

Christmas Tour - Farmhouse kitchen mason jar light      Christmas Tour - Farmhouse kitchen mason jar light
Christmas Tour - Farmhouse kitchen mason jar light

Christmas Tour - Farmhouse kitchen
silver and greeny kitchen

Ornaments on serving dish

Christmas Tour - Window with starfish
It sure is a winter wonderland out there!

Christmas Tour - Farmhouse Table with birch candles
Next we’ll step into the dining room. This room, like the rest of the house, has a ways to go. I decorated with branches on the chandelier, and a wooden box filled with birch candles my father & I made together.

Christmas Tour - Farmhouse Table with birch candles

Christmas Tour - Farmhouse Table with birch candles
I filled the wooden box with fir branches and extra ornaments I had on hand – as well as some pinecones.

Christmas Tour - Farmhouse Table with birch candles
Don’t worry – we never leave candles unattended!

Christmas Tour - Farmhouse Table with birch candles

Christmas Tour - Farmhouse living room
Our dining room is a small open concept with our living room. Come on in & take a seat!

Christmas Tour - Farmhouse living room

Christmas Livingroom 4

Reindeer Mantel See those beautiful candle holders? Those were a lucky find at Deal n’ Deal Liquidators! I adore their aged finish. All of my garlands are made with antique sheet music found at their store as well!

Christmas Tour - Reindeer Mantel This reindeer was on our mantel last year, and will probably continue to be the focal point of many mantels to come.

Christmas Tour - Coastal Tree Our Coastal Christmas tree makes me feel fuzzy every time I look at it. We cut down our own tree every year, which is one of our traditions.

Christmas Tour - Coastal Tree
Christmas Livingroom 8
Christmas Livingroom 7 This antique bird cage I simply filled with my DIY glittered pinecones and pretty ornaments.

Christmas Livingroom 3
Christmas Livingroom 5

Christmas Staircase
Let’s take a small peek upstairs.  I’ll hide your eyes from the renovations (like the floors and stairs!) and more unfinished rooms. 😉

Christmas Tour - Skates on Ladder
Christmas Tour - Record Player Just outside of our bedroom sits our record player which we love to play Christmas records on this time of year. Beside the record player is an adorable Christmas tree light my friend (family) Diane gave to me. It’s special to me for so many reasons. 🙂 I grew up with one in our family home which unfortunately broke… it was one of my favourite decorations growing up. When Diane got wind of how much it meant to me she surprised me with the one my Mom made for her years ago, which she kept in immaculate condition.

Christmas Tour - Master Bedroom 'Silent Night' Banner Let’s open the sliding doors and take a quick look at our master bedroom which we are currently working on. Ignore that support beam and too-short side tables. 😉

Christmas Tour - Master Bedroom 'Silent Night' Banner
Our comforter was made by my mother, neighbor, and I a couple of years ago. The bed skirt & two decorative pillow cases are second hand.

Christmas Tour - Master Bedroom 'Silent Night' Banner    Christmas Tour - Master Bedroom 'Silent Night' Banner

Christmas Tour - Coastal Tree
As we make our way downstairs you’ll notice a big sleeping bear.

Christmas Tour - Front Porch
That concludes the tour for this year. Hopefully next year I will have more finished spaces to share with you.

Christmas Tour - Front Porch

Thank you so much for dropping in to visit! It was lovely showing you around.

Christmas Tour - Country Burlap Christmas Wreath

Christmas Front Porch

Merry Christmas!

Remember to ‘Pin’ to come back later!

Follow Nest of Bliss on FacebookPinterestGoogle +, and Twitter!

B

Linking up to:

DIY Show Off & Flamingo Toes & Get Your DIY On & I Should Be Mopping The Floor & Craft o Maniac & Give Me The Goods Monday & Dwellings & Uncommon Designs & Home Stories A to Z & Cedar Hill Farmhouse

Comments

1. BEAUTIFUL my dear! I love how clean, simple, rustic, and cozy you’ve made your home! I’m drooling over that driftwood tree and not to mention your master bedroom! Merry Christmas my friend!

• <3 Thank you so much Kim! Your comment has completely made my day. :)
      I never realized how much time goes into writing a Christmas tour post... I am exhausted! Phewf!
      Merry Christmas to you and your family!

• What stain did you use on your table??

• Check out the tutorial here. http://www.brandisawyer.com/2013/09/farmhouse-table-makeover.html
          I redid the table because I was not happy with it when I first had my father make the table. I used a process that involved vinegar and steel wool and it ended up being an orange color. Then I applied Special Walnut by minwax. And then did a lot of sanding to get the antique look. I am not able to tell you the process for the vinegar and steel wool as it was so many years ago and went so wrong lol. The final step to reaching the look of the table it is the link above. Hope that helps. Brandi

2. your home is adorable! love the dining room especially, and i love the exterior!

3. You have a beautiful home, Brandi! I love how chic and simple everything is.

4. dianesaunders says:

This Christmas house tour has been amazing ! Sooo clean lined and relaxing . I have seen afew of the decorations you used when they were picked up at bargain shops ,yard sales etc and I am so in aww in how you used them . A talent behind the human eye . So proud .

5. Donna Bourque says:

You have an amazing talent and eye for detail! Your home is lovely!

6. Wendy Boutilier@hotmail.com says:

I used to look at homes like yours and Jeff’s for hours, in magazines and only dream. So proud of you for taking on the challenge and doing it, And living it. CHEERS to you on an amazing. Awwe inspiring way! It is so calming to take your through. p.s. hope you will punctuate for me.

7. Wendy Boutilier@hotmail.com says:

O.k How do I go back and edit? lol!

8. Sheryll & Critters. says:

I love your house!!! It is so beautiful. I feel like it is from a fairy tale I dreamed of as a little girl. The pups are just gorgeous too. And that comforter is gorgeous too. You have really put a lot of planning and work into making this a wonderful home.

Merry Christmas and God Bless!

9. Beautiful, I am going to tell Jordan Hipson to check out your site. He is starting to get some media attention and was on Martha Stewart last month. He does a show out of Halifax area.

10. Everything looks just magical! Found you over at the DIY Showoff party…it was your beautiful skis which caught my eye! I have a pair of vintage skis on my front porch and adore the idea if having them there. Your home is so beautiful, I am sure your family will enjoy a wonderful holiday season in such gorgeous surroundings!
    Merry Christmas!
    XO Barbara

• What a lovely comment, Barbara – Thank you! I managed to score the vintage Eaton’s skis for $2 at an auction. They make for gorgeous winter décor!
      Merry Christmas to you!

11. I love your home and how beautiful you have it decorated for Christmas! Warm hugs, Esther

12. Judy Wyman says:

Beautiful. When can I move in!

13. Brandi,
    Your home is so pretty…luv everything that you have done (awesome driftwood tree). Stop by on Monday…you will be featured at my party. Feel free to grab my featured button for your blog.

Blessings,
    Linda

14. Love the simplicity of these beautiful rooms, Brandi. The music sheet garlands are so cool, too. Love the dining room chandelier! Wow! Please share where you found it :)–thank you.
    Blessings,
    Sindy

• Thank you so very much, Sindy! The dining chandelier is a Restoration Hardware knock-off from HomeSense (Similar to HomeGoods in America)

Merry Christmas!

15. I just love your Christmas tour! You did a wonderful job, it’s so fun how you incorporated a coastal theme into the season 🙂 Gahh, I love the faraway shot of your home, it’s dreamy!!! Merry merry Christmas.

• Thank you my beautiful friend! I can’t seem to stay away from the coastal theme 😉 Wishing you & your hubs a very Merry Christmas!!

16. Anne Boykin says:

Hi Brandi, Your home is gorgeous already! Love the sweet Christmas decorations. Happy Holidays!

17. Great tour, I love the farmhouse feel. I have to say that I am so in love with that tin roof! I found your blog through So Much Better with Age and started following you on Bloglovin. Can not wait to read more, thanks for sharing and have a Happy New Years. 🙂

18. Just gorgeous! You’ve been featured on Sunday Features {Give Me The Goods} and on my FB page this morning too 😉
    Hugs,
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

19. Simply beautiful- what a treat to peek into such a lovely home- I’m drooling about your decor-LOVE!!

20. I love your house and all of the beautiful details you must have worked so hard to put into it. I am really wanting to make a bedspread like the one in your tour with the ruffles. Any tips or suggestions you might share?

• Thank you so very much, Kelly! This old house is still a work in progress, but it’s coming along. 🙂
      My mother & her neighbour helped create the bedspread with me – We used 3 sheets. Two for the duvet (Which fit a King duvet if I do recall) and one for the ruffles on top. The ruffles were made by cutting it into strips in the size I wanted, sewing down the rough edges on the end that pokes out, and adding a loose stitch (I’m not sure what you would refer to this as) and bunching the material, and then of course sewing to the top sheet, and layering them 🙂 It covered the lower half of the duvet.
      I hope this helps somewhat.. have a great day!

21. Dale sherar says:

Hello from Australia
    My name is Dale and I live on the Eastern Coastal of Australia around 45 minute drive North of Sydney.
    I love everything Coastal/Beachy so I’m in love with your Home.
    Thank you so much for the tour, it is amazing.
    I too have driftwood trees and leave my large one up all year and decorate it according to the holiday.
    I’ve just signed up for your newsletter and I’m looking forward to sharing 2014 with you.
    I hope you are safe and well during this cold Winter you are experiencing in America, a complete contrast to what we are having here in Australia.
    Have a Great 2014
    🙂 Dale

• Hi Dale,
      Thank you so much for your kind comment!
      I’m a bit farther north than America – I live in the maritimes in Canada… and you’re right, it’s freezing! I’ve always wanted to visit Australia and hope to make that a reality one day. 🙂
      Happy 2014!

22. Your home is beautiful and you have done an amazing job! I love old house redos…you have brought this little farmhouse back to life and I wish you much happiness !! You have great decorating style!!

• Thank you so much Dawna! We have a bit of a ways to go still, but with the New Year here we are in full-reno force! 🙂 It’s a labor of love for sure.

23. Hello Brandi, just saw your lovely dinning room post on Pinterest and was wondering if you could tell me what color is on your walls?
    I am looking for a soft off white and yours looks really nice. Thanks Vicki

• Hi there Vicki! The colour is Chocolate Froth by Behr – but we always colour match 😉 The colour is a very light grey with warm tones on it – a “griege”. It’s very warm in direct sunlight. 🙂

• Thank you Brandi. That color sounds perfect. Can I ask what color trim you like to go with the choc. froth?
        Vicki

• The trim I use throughout the house is called Ursa Major by Beautitone – it’s sold at Home Hardware here in Canada, when I purchase a paint I always ask what colours are in the formula. Ursa Major is basically a very stark white with I believe a hint of black. It’s very bright but has the slightest grey tone to it. The people often ask if they even mixed any paint in 😉 So if you don’t have a home hardware near by a bright white should do the trick!

24. I have never been stuck to the computer so long! I am completely in LOVE with your home! A complete inspiration and I can’t wait to make renovations to my future home one day! Thank you for sharing, I can’t wait to see more!!!

25. Kristina says:

Beautiful!!!! Every detail is wonderful! Where did you get your dining room table from?

• Hi Kristina!
      Our dining table was made from plans on ana-white.com — As for the finish, I have a tutorial all about it! 🙂

26. I would love to know where you got your dining room chandelier??!! 🙂

27. Hi there! What a beautiful home, and has me excited to decorate ours for Christmas this year using some of your ideas! I came across your blog on pinterest while looking for stains/finishes for our farmhouse table we are currently building. It is the exact same as yours, and I was hoping you could give us some direction on how you got that look? Did you use a stain, white wash it, etc? This is our first build so we are newbies and are so nervous that we are going to mess it up with the finish as I know how much that can change the look of the table entirely.

Thank you!
    Ami J.

28. Beautiful holiday decor! What brand and color paint is on the walls in the family and dining area? Thank you!

29. Your home is beautiful! I’m wondering what paint color you used in your dining room. I’m searching for the perfect neutral and that looks to be it!

30. HI,

Your home is beautiful! I have looked everywhere for a chandelier like the one over your dining farmhouse table. Can you tell me where you found that? Thank you so much for sharing your home.

• Thank you, Toni. I found it at HomeSense (Similar to HomeGoods in the states)… it was a Restoration Hardware knockoff

31. Pamela Wandrey says:

I love you home, just beautiful! Would you mind telling me what color the pale blue/green is you used?

32. Beautiful decorations in a beautiful home. Where can I purchase the chandelier you have in your dining room? I love the potential for decorating on it for holidays year round (birds nest for easier, spider webs for Halloween, etc). Would love to know where to find it. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

• It’s a Restoration Hardware knockoff that I found at Homesense (Similar to home goods etc in the states)

33. Your home is beautiful! Is the kitchen mason jar light a DIY project? If so do you have instructions?

34. Brittney Houston says:

I know you posted this 2 years ago but I just came across it through Pinterest and would love to know where you dining room table and chairs came from! They are gorgeous! Is your couch covered with a slipcover? Just curious as to where you found one that fit well. Beautiful home!

35. Just came across this on Pinterest! Absolutely love all of your decor!!! But I’m especially in love with the deer on your mantle and am desperately trying to find one like it. I’ve looked everywhere I can think of and come across several that would work but none seem as large as yours…. I know I’m a couple years late to the party, but can you recall where this one is from?

• Hi Amy, I don’t have good news for you. I bought that deer at a discount store in Berwick, Nova Scotia three years ago. I really was lucky to find it and have never seen one since. Sorry.

36. Hi!
    Your home is adorable! I love the sheet music banners and the paint color in your dining room. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Best Wishes,

Britt

37. Hi there!

Your style is so similar to mine! I have been searching for the perfect table, and the one you have is it!!! I found the design plans so I’m trying to get my dad to build me one for Christmas ;). But, the chairs you have are also what I’m looking for!! All of the ones I find have the dark wood legs. Where did you get your chairs?

• Hi there, thank you for the compliment. Isn’t it a great table, I love it. The chairs I bought from a store here in Nova Scotia, Canada and that was a couple of years ago called Wicker Emporium. But if you look at Overstock.com, I have found similiar chairs on there from time to time. Hope you find some that you love.

38. Beautiful!
    The Mason Jar light fixtures are great and your candle centerpiece made with your dad…very nice!
    I’m looking forward to Christmas 2016 in your beautiful, inviting home

• Thank you Christina, I am glad you enjoyed it. Unfortunately you will not get to see a 2016 home tour as I no longer live in the farmhouse.

39. Hello! Just wondering where that pretty dining room chandelier is from!? I’m looking for this style but it’s hard to find a smaller more simple one like this; some of them are huge! Anyways, pretty room and thanks for the reply if you have a chance!

40. Hello! I have enjoyed getting inspiration from your home design!! Can you tell me when the dimensions are of your beautiful centerpiece box? I am going to make one! Thanks!

41. I would love to know the pale blue color the walls in your home!!! I just stumbled upon your blog on Pinterest and may I say I LOVE your home!!! Absolutely beautiful!!

• Hi there, I am not sure what the color blue is in the hallway, that is when I was first starting to blog and did not keep track of this room. Big regret. I am no longer living at the farmhouse and am not able to find out the color…but it is similiar to a color I painted my mother’s living room and it is by Benjamin Moore called Palladian Blue. I love it! Brandi 🙂

42. Hello! Do you happen to know the dimensions of the wooden box you used on your dining room table? I absolutely love this idea!

• Hi Kelsey,

Sorry for the delay in responding to you, I am in university these days and it takes up most of my time. But I finally was able to get the box out of storage and take the measurements.

24 inches long on the sides
      5.5 inches wide on the bottom
      3.5 wide on the ends

But this can be made in any size that you want. This one is extra long because my table was huge. My mother made three this year at Christmas for gifts and she made them all different sized based on the size of their tables. Hope this helps!

Brandi 🙂

Trackbacks

1. […] This stunning white table centerpiece is the very picture of rustic Christmas elegance. The white rectangular case provides just enough contrast against the table and chairs while still being soft enough to match. The white candles of different sizes are a perfect choice, as they add interest and dimension, not to mention warmth, among the green of the birch clippings that surround them. via brandisawyer. […]