DIY Rustic Farmhouse Table Makeover

A year ago I asked my Dad if he would help me build a farmhouse table
You know the one –Β Ana White’s famous plans!
Despite the fact my dad refused to let me use old wood (he is totally against working with worn wood!) it turned out beautifully!
Initially I had stained it with a homemade steal wool stain.. I even tested it out first… but it turned the whole thing ORANGE.
So then I decided to stain it with Minwax Special Walnut.Β Perfect! …Except we never applied finish.
Then we renovated the walls in our dining room, lots of drywall compound everywhere… including the table…
It refused to wash off. (sigh)
So, I stained it again and it was too dark.. then I sanded, applied whitewash, and beat the wood up a bit, which brought it to where it stayed for about a year:
DIY Rustic Farmhouse Table Makeover - Nest of Bliss
It wasn’t horrible, but it certainly wasn’t anywhere near the initial weathered look I was hoping for.
So recently I decided to finally give it a farmhouse makeover…

DIY Rustic Farmhouse Table Makeover - Nest of Bliss

DIY Rustic Farmhouse Table Makeover - Nest of Bliss
DIY Rustic Farmhouse Table Makeover - Nest of Bliss
DIY Rustic Farmhouse Table Makeover - Nest of Bliss
DIY Rustic Farmhouse Table Makeover - Nest of Bliss
I spent a few hours sanding it down with a palm sander (messy!). Some of the stain settled into areas and created a time worn appearance. I then applied a creamy white wax on top to settle into the grooves.
I created a coloured wax by combining a few spoonfuls of Trewax Clear Paste Wax with a bit of creamy coloured paint.
Trewax Clear Paste Wax - DIY Rustic Farmhouse Table Makeover - Nest of Bliss
When I worked as a furniture artist at Anchique, the owner Michelle recommended this product for our furniture makeovers! I love the finish it creates.
Create Your Own Coloured Wax - Nest of Bliss
DIY Rustic Farmhouse Table Makeover - Nest of Bliss
I love the light weathered finish!
DIY Rustic Farmhouse Table Makeover - Nest of Bliss
Now to find a rug and some tufted chairs… πŸ˜‰
Hope you enjoy the makeover!
Be sure to Pin to come back later!
Follow Nest of Bliss onΒ Facebook,Β Pinterest,Β Google +, andΒ Twitter!
B

Comments

1. Sweet & simple…I really like it!

2. I love how you refinished this table. It looks antique! Great job girlfriend!

3. Oh my…the table is gorgeous!….and you did such a fantastic job refinishing it…and kudos to your dad for a table well made!
    Your dining room is beautiful!

• Hi there Shirley!
      Thank you, I think I’m finally happy with the finish – now the real challenge is to decorate around it! πŸ˜‰
      My Dad certainly does build things to last, but he doesn’t “get” the whole antique-look.. when he saw I beat it up he didn’t say a word. Haha! Men!

4. I love how your table turned out. It has a beautiful finish!
    Mary Alice

5. Looks beautiful!

Tania

6. Oh my, It is gorgeous!!
    XO
    Kristin
    PS thanks for stopping in on FB πŸ™‚

7. I liked it before and I like it “after” – well done – sometimes it takes time and perseverance doesn’t it?! πŸ™‚

8. Just a tip – I bought several really cheap little carpet dots a few days ago and affixed them to the bottom
    of the feet of our dining area chairs. No more scraping across the floor boards when my daughter makes
    use of them as a walker!

9. I loved your table and loved the chandelier.!!!!! Where did you buy the chandelier from????
    I’m in love with your blog! Thanks for all this great ideas!!!!

• Hi Maria,
      Thank you so much, that means so much to me!
      We purchased the chandelier from a store called Homesense (Similar to Home Goods in the States). It’s a knock-off of a wine barrel 6-arm chandelier from Restoration Hardware, but I would never pay that much!

10. Love the table! I guess my hubby will have to get busy!! the new chairs that you posted lately look beautiful around it. Enjoy!

• Thank you! The chairs are from Wicker Emporium, they are oh-so comfy! I gave the Windsor chairs to my mother who wanted new chairs for her home, too. πŸ™‚

11. Wow, I love this table, too! I keep telling my husband that I want to make a table, but we have no real wood working experience. Would you say a novice could do it? ~Lisa

• Hmm.. if you have the tools, it can be done! But I would say it’s not a one-man job for a newbie! I helped my Dad as did my fiancΓ©. The biggest issue was straightening slightly warped boards. Take a look at the tutorial on Ana White and see what you think. πŸ™‚

12. After I initially commented I appear to have clicked the
    -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on
    every time a comment is added I receive four emails with the same comment.
    Perhaps there is an easy method you are able to remove me from
    that service? Thanks a lot!

• Take a look at the e-mails you are receiving and look for an ‘unsubscribe’ button or a link that may say you no longer want to receive these e-mails. I have no control over this I believe – So sorry!

13. beautiful finish! how is it holding up? we are getting ready to put a finish on our rustic table and love the look of a wax, but am concerned about it holding up to two small children and the daily wear and tear (water, fork gouges, hot plates, etc). thanks!

• Hi Chelsee,
      Since it’s a beat up, rustic finish, I don’t find there’s any holding up it needs to do! Anything that happens to it will just add to the overall character of the table. πŸ™‚

14. How much did the table cost to make? Also would six chairs for?? Love your table!

• We now have six chairs on either side. πŸ™‚ The table I recall was about $70 to make – but my father who built it has most of the items needed on hand.

15. Colleen says:

Your table is beautiful! What is your recommendation to get new wood to look like your final product? And, what did you use to beat it with?

• Hi Colleen,

This whole tutorial I discuss the steps I took to get the new wood to look this way. I used a chain and hammer mostly – the chain is the most helpful part. πŸ™‚

16. I have Checked the Wicker Emporium’s website and cannot find the chairs. Any suggestions? Thank you.

• I see that Carol! It looks as though they must not have any at this time. I know they’ve restocked them in the past so definitely keep an eye out. Are you in Canada? I’m not sure if they do US orders at this time. πŸ™

17. Yerelyn Reyes says:

Beautiful! Can I ask what are the measurements of your table. I never know what would be the right size but is like one that could fit 8, with three chairs on either side. Thanks!

• Hi Yerelyn,

The plans for this table can be found on ana-white.com, but we changed up the size a bit to be a larger table. Since I’m not currently living at the farmhouse I don’t have the measurements we used – but using the plans from ana-white will give you a good starting point! πŸ™‚

18. Just curious what the wax – paint ratio was for this table. I know you said you mixed a few tablespoons with creamy white paint, but was that for an entire batch of paint for the entire thing? Or two tablespoons mixed until the brush is dry and you keep mixing throughout? I have a coffee table im wanting to do this on. Also, since you mixed with a wax did you seal at all with anything else once finished?

• I just did small batches as I went along. You can’t really go wrong with it- but definitely don’t drown the wax in paint, you just want the paint to take to the color. How much and how intense is completely up to you. πŸ™‚

19. Janelle Forteza says:

Hi Brandi,

My husband is building the Ana White Farmhouse table as we speak and I love the look of yours. Can you elaborate more on the staining process? If we are using untreated pine I am guessing we will need to apply a coat of the walnut stain, white wash and then apply the Trewax and paint mixture?

If I am using brand new wood is there a “faster” route to achieve your end product? Could you also expand on the process of the Trewax and paint? How much do you use for the entire table? How did you apply it? Did you apply a finish?

Sorry for all the questions but I am brand new to this!

Thanks

• I didn’t drown the wax in paint, but I added enough to change the color of the wax. I know my own process was complete trail and error – but I would do a light coat of stain, get an electric palm sander (this is the most tedious part, and messy!) get enough raw wood exposed as you desire, and then complete with the wax. I imagine that would be a similar look! Or you could try weathered oak stain by Minwax for a more driftwood esque finish- I did this on my foyer table (tutorial on this finish in the projects section) but it did require many coats to remove that yellowy new pine finish.

20. Christine Bracken says:

Hello, I too, have just asked my dad to help me build a table as well! This table is my inspiration…What type of wood did you use?

21. Absolutely beautiful! I live in an old farm house and my dining room table is the same real wood finish yours was …it is round with a big pedestal base…I think it would look awesome. You did a phenomenal job!

22. Thanks for posting this! My wife recently pinned this on her “home decor” board on Pinterest. So, like a good hubby, I snuck around and peeked in to her interests and projects. I am buying the trewax now and have the table already built. I just have to sand it down and prep it. But I had a few questions for you since you didn’t go into much detail on the steps you took:

What color/brand paint did you use?
    How did you mix/apply the mixture? Is it half wax and half paint? Did you wipe it on with a towel, sponge or normal with a paintbrush?
    My table has wide cracks and grooves between boards, how would you fill that in or do you even bother?
    You said you applied wax first?

I’m a newbie to projects like this. I’d love to hear your answers. Thanks!
    Jonathan Chambers
    jondavechambers.wordpress.com
    missionalman.com

• I believe the paint was simply just an off white sample I had handy, I’m sure any white would get you the same overall effect. Sorry you feel there wasn’t enough detail! The wax was applied with a rag after the wax and paint was combined.
      As for the grooves, just try your best to get paint or wax wherever, there’s no need for perfection, whatever doesn’t work just wipe away.. I find trial and error to give the best look anyway – look at my original mistakes with the table and where it is today! Just enjoy the process and have fun. πŸ™‚ Your wife may even want to give it a few improvements.

23. We are about to give our dining room a makeover and I am wondering what color paint you used on the chairs? They’re beautiful!

• Thank you Susanna, but these chairs were actually purchased this way. If it helps, it appears to be a creamy white with a warm brown glaze in between grooves. πŸ™‚

24. Can you tell me the ratio of paint to wax? I have a table I purchased years ago from World Market that is full of dents and grooves. I have sanded it down but want to give it a whitewashed look since, like you, I have pockets of stain in the grooves (the stain was a really dark wood color). Looks like the mixing might be tricky but I suspect a little goes a long way!

• Just keep adding until your wax is tinted! There’s no right or wrong way to do it. Trial and error and sanding. πŸ™‚

25. how did you mix the wax paste and paint together? Does it blend onto a smooth consistency?

• I just kinda smashed it together with a fork honestly. You have to use a cloth to smooth out and melt the wax.

26. what type of wood did you use?

27. I know this is an old post, but I found this table on Pinterest and I love it! It’s exactly what I’m looking for. I was going to use one of the variations on Ana White’s farm house table because my husband likes it better. My question is, if I’m starting out with brand new wood, what are the easiest steps to get it to where yours is, or close to it? It looks like Colleen asked a similar question above, and you referenced the entire post, but according to your post, one would need to stain with steel wool in vinegar, stain with Special Walnut, add drywall compound, stain again (unknown color), sand, apply whitewash (again, unknown), beat up the wood and then finally, sand for a few hours, possibly stain it again (I’m not sure, I couldn’t tell from your sentence), and finish with the creamy white wax, which you DID detail. I’m completely new to wood working, furniture painting, and the obvious skill that you have. Can I get the same effect by just staining my wood, sanding it and adding the white wax? Do you need to add clear wax periodically to get the table in good condition? Hopefully, my question makes sense, I’ve looked for other tutorials online and haven’t found anything that looks as nice as what you’ve accomplished here.

• Haha, Kristi – the reason why they are so many steps is because I had just that many mishaps! I would say stain, major sanding, and white wax should give you a similar look. Just keep playing with it! You can’t go wrong when you’re going rustic. The sanding took FOREVER though!

28. I LOVE this table! What are the dimensions and where did you end up getting your upholstered chairs? So beautiful together!!

• Hi Julia! I’m no long in the home so I can’t speak for the dimensions of the table – but is quite huge! Since I made the table with plans from ana white you could alter your dimensions to your needs. πŸ™‚ The chairs are from Wicker Emporium which you can read about in this post — >

29. Jennifer says:

Hi, I love this table and I’m in the process of making one! Is the wax/paint mixture good enough for the top coat/finish? Will it withstand spills or water marks? I love the look with the wax. Just wondering how durable it is and how long it’ll last if it’s the top coat. Thanks!

• Mine has lasted, but if you want a more durable finish with a shine I would recommend something over top. I’m just not too fussy about spills etc I suppose!

30. Did you wipe on the paste wax that you mixed with paint or did you brush it on?

31. Hey I have a couple ?s in regarding this table it’s a cherry wood table I got now and I been sanding it’s just a pub high table and I want it like yours do I have to sand first than apply the stain and than sand more than put the wax and paint together and paint it I am confused

32. Laura Wolford says:

OK I have a question and I hope it wasn’t already asked and I tried to read through all the comments to see if it was but I might’ve missed it. Doesn’t matter what kind of paint you use?

33. Stephanie says:

Wow! I Love this table!! Can you tell me the quantity of paint and wax that you used to have this color?
    Thank you!

• Hi Stephanie, that is a hard guestion lol. It has been a long while since I did that. But if I remember correctly. I really had to just experiment till I got the right combination. First I added the wax…maybe 3 or 4 tablespoons (wax goes a long way). Then I added the paint a little at a time and mixed it in. This is a wax technique so you do not want it to be like paint, you want it to be like wax so that you can still put it on with a cloth. I know that probably sounds confusing, but that is the process that I followed. And the color of paint could be anything, it could be white. Because this was a few years ago and I used Chocolate Froth by Benjamin Moore on my living room walls, it probably was that color I used. But white or any cream colored paint would work. I hope this helps you, but my best advice is to experiment before you start your big project.

34. I love your table! How did your finish hold up with using wax versus a poly finish? Any trouble with glasses leaving ring marks? Thank you.

• Hi Debra,

So far so good, however I will say we do not eat at our table on a daily basis, it is more for special occasions. But we did do a wax over a coffee table I painted and that has held up really well and cups go on that all the time. Sorry I could not be more help.

Brandi

35. Love this look! Do you by chance remember the name of the color of paint on your walls? We are remodeling a house and I am trying to find pictures of paint colors that I like!

• Hi Allie,

It has been awhile, but I beleive it was Chocolate Froth by Behr. Hope that helps! πŸ™‚

36. Genine Gaertner says:

Hi,
    It is beautiful… was wondering if any wax can be used .

• Hi Genine, I have only tried that brand in the tutorial myself, but I am sure any floor wax that is in a tin will work. Hope that helps! Brandi